setting gdk display

How do I set the display that GTK uses. My app uses an X display opened with
XOpenDisplay and it looks like GTK is using a different X display. I would
like to have GDK/GTK use an X Display specified by me so things are in sync
I can do things like copy part of gdkpixmaps to my X11 pixmaps using
XCopyArea (of course I would get the x11 pixmap id of the gdkpixmap).

If this is not possible, any downsides to having my X11 app use the same X
Display that GTK is using?

thanks,
Tuviah Snyder <tuviah runrev com> <http://www.runrev.com/>
Runtime Revolution Limited - Software at the Speed of Thought