Re: gtk+-2.2.0 ./configure error about pango 1.2.0

busmanus wrote:

When I am trying to configure the source code of gtk+-2.2.0,
I get the following error:

checking X11/extensions/XShm.h... yes
checking Pango flags... -I/usr/local/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/local/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/local/lib/glib-2.0/include -Wl,--export-dynamic -L/usr/local/lib -lpangoxft-1.0 -lpangox-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0
configure: error:
*** Can't link to Pango. Pango is required to build
*** GTK+. For more information see http://www.pango.org
debian:/usr/local/src/abiword/gtk+-2.2.0#

I recompiled pango at least three times, with LD_LIBRARY_PATH directed
to /usr/local/lib, where glib 2.2.0 and almost all dependencies are
installed, I installed all the external dependencies, although I
originally wanted to keep the earlier versions already on my system,
but nothing is of any use. Glib 2.2.0, pango 1.2.0 an atk 1.2.0 compile fine, and the configure script for gtk finds them all first, but a few hundred lines later it ends up all the same with this very error
message.

I even thought that I may have linked pango statically by accident, but the help of the pango configure script writes, that
dinamic linking is the default, and I am sure I didn't change that.

I was trying some of the suggestions in your archive, but they
didn't help, although some cases looked quite similar at first sight.

I am not a developer, I basically got into this compilation business
because of some multilingual software that depends on the new stable
gtk.

My system is Debian Woody r1 on an old Pentium I (MMX) at 225 MHz.

Can any of you help?

If my memory is not lying I had a similar problem some time ago - the reason was freetype library. I had a new headers and lib in /usr/X11R6 and old ones in /usr. Check this out and remove old version. Hope this help.

   Olexiy