RE: why is gtk install so difficult?

> From: Tara Milana [mailto:learfox twu net]
> What if, for example, if a packaged GTK+ 2 was compiled for,
> say, a glibc 2.2 system and someone with a glibc 2.0 system
> could still run GTK+ 2 if it were compiled for glibc 2.0 but
> the packaged GTK+ 2 was not compiled for glibc 2.0. In this
> case the person would need to compile from source.

Is that likely? For instance, I don't think that debian or RedHat's GTK+
would suddenly need glibc 2.2 instead of glibc 2.0 between GTK+ 2.2.20 and
GTK+ 2.2.21. I have no idea what version of glibc is used by any particular
version of GTK+ on RedHat or Debian in reality.

If the packages are broken then the packages should be fixed. That's not a
building-from-source problem.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net