Re: why is gtk install so difficult?

> Compiling anything from source can be difficult. Jhbuild and garnome make it
> much easier.
>
> But still it's only something that developers of GTK+ should need to do.
> Other people don't need to compile from source. I see no problem.
>
> If your disribution makes it difficult to install something, then it's a
> problem with the distribution.

This is a very poor excuse and neede not be true.  Nearly every important
package on my system is installed with autoconf and make, without trouble,
from sendmail, bind, apache, Perl, X, etc etc etc.

GTK is only hard to compile and install by hand because the developers have
chosen to make it so.  Originally, it was no problem.  Even compiling just
Balsa now with the aspell libraries is a nightmare.

This has nothing to do with the distribution.  It's not the fault of the
distribtuion.  It has nothing to do with the distribution.

Ruben

--
Brooklyn Linux Solutions

http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Consulting