Re: gtk installation problem: glib installation: iconv.h

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 13:40, kameron cole wrote:
> I was able to successfully instal glib-2.0.6. After trying to install
> gtk-2.2.4, I got an error, that pangox backend could not be found,
> despite the fact that I installed the latest pango (also successfully),
> and copied the .pc files into every place I thought the gtk installer
> would look.

Please, please, read:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-building.html

This describes, step by step, how to install GTK+. By doing things
like copying .pc files all over the place, you may get your
system into a state that you'll *never* be able to recover from.

> kind of successful.  Now the gtk installation fails concerning too low a
> version of glib (no more pango problem?  who knows?).

Well, you installed GLib-2.0.6. In the same directory as you
found GTK+-2.2.4, you'll find GLib-2.2.3.

> I've installed libiconv successfully - or, so I think: the installation
> program returns with no errors - usually a sign of success.
>
> However, when I try to install glib-2.2.3, I get:
>

> > gconvert.c:46:2: #error GNU libiconv not in use but included iconv.h is from libiconv

I think you are using Linux. On Linux, you *must not* install libiconv;
libiconv is basically parts of the GNU C library split out into
a separate library. Having both the GNU C library and libiconv on
your system doesn't work.

Regards,
						Owen