.. gdk_open_display_foreign()

is there any chance that we could get a tiny modification made to gdk
so that it would support an X Display opened outside of gdk? i've
already written the code, and it involves a totally insignificant
modification to gdk_open_display() in gdkdisplay-x11.c. rather than
call XOpenDisplay(), we just accept the Display* as an argument.

this allows us to write plugin UIs and mix-and-match toolkits
(assuming i can find out how to get Qt to do the same thing).

also, i find that i cannot close the original display opened by
GTK/GDK, even after resetting the default to my new "foreign" one. is
this likely to just be a bug, or is it outside the scope of the design
of GDK at this time. right now, it segfaults in a lookup of the
property lists for the display.

--p