Glib 2.0

Hello.
I have a Linux Red Hat 6.2 system.
My problem is this:
I installed Glib 2.2.3 (I downloaded if from here : ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.2/glib-2.2.3.tar.gz) and everything was ok, without any problem.
I installed Glib 2.2.3 with these commands:
1) ./configure
2) make
3) make install

The problem is that when I try to install any applications that requires Glib my computer doesn't see the Glib as installed.

I want to add this:
when I type
glib-config --version glib
it doesn't return 2.x as version but 1.x as version.
The version 1.x of glib was installed by Linux Red Hat 6.2 installation by rpm. I have the impression that when I install Glib 2.2.3 it can't be seen and the system still sees the Glib 1.x that was installed by Linux Red Hat 6.2.

I would like to make my system sees Glib 2.x as installed (not Glib 1.x as it is now).
What can I do?

thanks for help

Marte