problems passing data via g_signal_connect

Hello:
I am having a problem printing out the data I pass to my callback function.
I am using the g_signal_connect. The callback function is getting called,
 but the data is messed up/empty.

This is what I am doing:

1. The struct holding the data:
typedef struct my_data {
char bin[1000];
char doc[1000];
} MY_DATA;

2. Setup the callback:

MY_DATA mydata;

strcpy(mydata.bin,"TESTING");
printf("Data is <%s> before callback activated\n",mydata.bin);
printf("Data is at %p before callback activated\n",mydata);

g_signal_connect(G_OBJECT (tableCells[r][6]),
                 "button_press_event",
                 G_CALLBACK (selectActionBin),
                 (gpointer) &mydata);

3. The callback function
void selectActionBin(MY_DATA *data)
{
printf("In CB, data = <%s>\n",data->bin);
printf("In CB, data is at %p\n", data);
printf("In CB, data is at %p\n", &data);
gtk_widget_show (selectDialog_window); <--- This shows up as expected.

}

4.Result.
./testIt
---- The following prints out from #2 above
Data is <TESTING> before callback activated
Data is at 0x504f4f50 before callback activated

---- The following prints out from #3 above
In CB, data = <> <---- I want to see my data here :{
In CB, data is at 0x80b2a30
In CB, data is at 0xbfffeb40