Re: gtk/glib/pango spec file

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 04:11, Olexiy Avramchenko wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm wondering why there're no spec[.in] files in gtk, pango and glib
> tarballs ? Many libs/apps in Gnome have it (including atk). Should I
> check CVS for them or there's a reason for not including/sharing such
> files ?

 A) Spec files that work well on multiple distributions aren't
    possible, IMO.

 B) I can only test spec files for Red Hat, but I don't
    want people using "generic" spec files on Red Hat or
    Fedora, because there are important non-generic customizations
    in the packages we ship. (Including patches, etc.)

 C) So, I can't maintain spec files for GTK+ appropriate for the
    tarballs.

When the GNOME packaging project was running, I let them do
whatever they wanted with the GTK+ spec files, but when it
became inactive, I removed the spec files, since untested,
unmaintained spec files in the packages are worse than
no spec files.

Regards,
					Owen