Re: Shift TAB and TAB binding

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 18:18, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 11:25, Radek Doulík wrote:
> > Hi Owen,
> >
> > I run recently into this problem. I am binding TAB key in gtkhtml. What
> > happens is that this binding gets activated even if I press Shift TAB. I
> > traced the problem to gdk_keymap_translate_keyboard_state in
> > gdkkeys-x11.c where Shift modifier is consumed.
> >
> > Any idea what's wrong or how to fix it?
> >
> > It used to work some time ago. (maybe in gtk 1.4?) I am now using gtk
> > 2.2.1. I have tried CVS version from yesterday which behaved the same.
>
> Sounds like a problem with your keymap. GTK+ can't handle the case
> where:
>
>  The XKB extension is present
>  Shift-Tab produces Tab rather than ISO_Left_Tab

It probably produces ISO_Left_Tab, I was binding the same action to Tab
and ISO_Left_Tab as well. And another to Shift Tab and Shift
ISO_Left_Tab.

So the way to handle Shift-Tab and Tab differently is to bind to Tab and
ISO_Left_Tab. It's somewhat weird, but looks like XFree86 brokeness
then.

Thanks for you answer
Radek

BTW, why did the Shift-Tab binding work in 1.x gtk?