Fonts - How to let apps adjust them?

Hi;

I just migrated to debian via knoppix.

I have the GTK+ 2.2..1-4 installed.

I installed gaim .62

It has nice anti aliased fonts, but way too small and the icons are rendered in grey instead of colors.

I tried adjusting the fonts in gaim's preferences but they would not change.

The folks on the gaim irc channel told me that I would need to adjust my GTK theme.

I searched google and did not find any information on this.

How can I adjust the GTK fonts or adjust the GTK to let the applications adjust their own fonts?

Thanks in advance in for the info

Steve