Re: 'Huge list' widget

> I did this many years ago with gnome-apt. The main problem is just
> that writing the UI for a list is very hard. The keyboard navigation,
> selection, accessibility, etc. behaviors. But for a custom in-house
> app you may be able to ignore all or part of that.

Yeah, I may even never really write a widget and stay with my test code at
the 'application' level (but I thought that it would be a fun way to learn
how to write a GTK+ widget).

And this list widget would be really only used in an internal application so
I do not really have to care about a lot of stuff and I can really
specialize for my specific case (thus gaining some speed advantage).

(as a tangent, all these GUI stuff should be tested on some old Sun
 workstations as we have at work were the X rendering and CPU speed is
 really slow compared to a PC :-) )

> The way gnome-apt worked was even simpler than you describe. It simply
> kept track of which list item was at the top of the widget, and
> whenever the list changed (or scrolled, or whatever) you just called
> gtk_widget_queue_draw() to repaint the whole thing, and it started
> drawing with the top list item until it filled the whole widget, then
> stopped.

Well, this still implies that the list knows the content of the actual list ?
My whole goal was that the widget knows the content of the list items only
on a 'need to know' basis.

Anyway, I will start experimenting this evening (will have to understand how
to use Pango and stuff to write text on a 'pixmap') :-)

                    Lionel

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/