Re: GString functions

On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 19:10, Jamie Guinan wrote:
> I'm looking at
>
>   http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-Strings.html
>
> where many of the GString functions return "GString *".
>
> I understand that the ".str" member of a GString can change across
> g_string_*() calls, but are there any guarantees about the returned
> GString itself?

The returned GString is simply the string you passed in,
to allow:

 GString *s = g_string_append (g_string_new ("redhat"),
                               ".com");

Ugh. My advice would be to simply forget there is a return
value at all. Your code will be clearest that way.

As for using GObject classes in GLib ... GObject depends
on GLib, not vice-versa, so that isn't possible. It might
have been nice to lump them together and use GObject for
things like GMainContext, GIOChannel, but we didn't
do it that way.

Regards,
                                 Owen