FreeBSD and portuguese characters under GTK+ 2.2

Dudes, i've been trying to avoid posting here since I don't think it's the right place to ask for help ... but I've been searching many mail lists, man pages, newsgroups... and unix-users in Brazil are not always as kind as they can be.

I came with a weird problem here at my new FreeBSD installation (FreeBSD 4.7, I Used to be a Linux user before it) when I got gtk+ 2.2 (and the whole gnome 2.2) running. I can see most of my special caracters used in portuguese (such as á, é, í, ó, ú and their capitals) except for ç (which renders as a weird c with an acute over it). I've been seeing linux users checking their /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules and changing the "xim" locales to "pt_BR" instead of "ko:ja:zh"

as thought it probably is the same solution I would need to use here in FreeBSD....
so I found the file at
/usr/X11R6/etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules
and saw that the locale path (which were /usr/share/locale on linux machines) was NONE/lib/locale here at FreeBSD... tried to put the /usr/share/locale (place where there are some locales in my system) and changed the locales... nothing happened...
 when I try to send things with these special characters over the internet using GTK+ applications... it sends some weird (probably) utf-8 encoded chars...
same happens when I save some file to disk using these GTK applications... I can see them perfectly in GTK apps... but when I try to look at them at the terminal or everyother application without GTK it renders some utf-8 encoded chars... pretty weird...
could anyone help me ?

And Again... I am sorry to post here... I just have no one to talk about anymore