Double "changed" signal on GtkTreeView ?

Hello all.

Is it normal that I receive 2 "changed" events on the selection (SINGLE
or BROWSE) on the first click ?
Or better: I first receive a changed signal for the first row, then
another one for the row I clicked.

How can I avoid it?

Since I have to do some (maybe slow) async queries to a database, how
can I be sure that the user can't change the selection before the
queries terminate (I can call a function when the last query
terminates)?
I tried setting the treeview insensitive when receiving the first signal
and setting it sensitive again when the last query terminates, but then
I get no cursor at all in it :-(

Tks,
 Diego.