GTK+-2.2.2 gc behavior

I am observing an odd behavior when using the widget->style->black_gc and either ulers or scrollbars. The line thickness of the rulers and the
arrow heads of the scrollbars seem to follow the line thickness of my
drwaing area. I am performing a zoom in/out on a drawing by first writting to a pixmap then coping the portion desired to a drawing area.
As this is my first real GTK program, I am open to any and all feedback.

Thanks,
    George