Help with glib

I have installed the latest version of glib. I am trying to install other
needed software such as pango, atk+ and others.  using pango as an expample,
once I issue the ./configure command the progrmas runs for a moment and then
I get

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.1.3...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.2.0, but GLIB (2.2.2)
*** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files
no
configure: error:
*** Glib 2.1.3 or better is required. The latest version of
*** Glib is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.
.

I have varified and reentered the information for PKG_CONFIG_PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and ran and reran ldconfig after editing the ld.so.conf file
in /etc.  I have completely removed and reinstalled glib-2.2.2 by creating an
RPM from the source.  It does not fail, but nothing installed after it will
recognise the correct version that has been installed.  I even looked into
the glib-2.2.2.pc file, and there is no line in it that states glib-2.2.2

Please help. I have looked on line and in different help groups and no one
seems to know what to do.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.