gtkFB performance

I have a simple GUI app (gtkmm) running on gtkFB. The framebuffer driver
being used is the kernel's vesa driver. It runs, but screen redraws (for
example resizing of panes) are very slow and cause the mouse to pause
till its done redrawing. I can see several causes of this:
	266 processor (shouldn't  be an issue though)
	using the vesa fb driver rather than the one specifically for 		the
geode (our processor)
	that its unaccelerated (fix by using DirectFB?)
	others?

What kind of performance should I expect? What might be wrong? Any help
will be appreciated.

thanks

--
Peter Gasper <pgasper designadvantage com>