Re: A question on pending

On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 07:02, Andrej Prsa wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > I must issue a system call from my program, something like
> > >
> > > 	system ("prog");
> > >
> > > This operation takes at least a minute, but the time of computation
> > > actually depends on many parameters.
> > >
> > > 1) How do I keep refreshing the GUI?
> >
> > Use g_spawn_async* family of functions instead, and use pipes to
> > communicate with and track the child process if you need to.
>
> Thanks! But ... I learned how to use g_spawn_async, I programmed
> everything and then, when I tried compiling it, I realized that these
> functions are declared only in glib2*. Unfortunately, I'm using Gtk1.2
> because I need to be compatible with as many computers as possible. Do I
> have any alternatives to g_spawn_async* in 1.2?

You can rewrite them yourself....

GTK+-2.x has been out for well over a year now, and is widely available.
I really think it is mistake to program against a unmaintained, buggy
toolkit that is missing 4+ years of development for the sake of
a few machines that haven't updated. If someone hasn't installed
GTK+-2.x by now, they probably aren't going to install your software
either.

And what about computers that only have GTK+-2.x?

Regards,
                                            Owen