Re: gtk_atom_intern question

On Sat, 2003-06-07 at 10:16, René Seindal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I use gdk_atom_intern() to get an X atom, the numeric values of the
> atom returned doesn't always coincide with the index of the X atom.
> Often the values return are in the range just above 80 even though the
> index of the X atom is in the 400s
>
> Why is that?

The atoms that GTK+ uses are not the same as the actual
atoms on the display ... this is for multihead reasons,
largely ... GTK+ might be connected to different displays
at the same time and the same atom in GTK+ needs to correspond to a
different atoms on each display.

>From gdkx.h:

GdkAtom               gdk_x11_atom_to_xatom_for_display (GdkDisplay  *display,
                                                         GdkAtom      atom);
GdkAtom               gdk_x11_xatom_to_atom_for_display (GdkDisplay  *display,
                                                         Atom         xatom);
Atom                  gdk_x11_get_xatom_by_name_for_display (GdkDisplay  *display,
                                                             const gchar *atom_name);
G_CONST_RETURN gchar *gdk_x11_get_xatom_name_for_display (GdkDisplay  *display,
                                                          Atom         xatom);
#ifndef GDK_MULTIHEAD_SAFE
Atom                  gdk_x11_atom_to_xatom     (GdkAtom      atom);
GdkAtom               gdk_x11_xatom_to_atom     (Atom         xatom);
Atom                  gdk_x11_get_xatom_by_name (const gchar *atom_name);
G_CONST_RETURN gchar *gdk_x11_get_xatom_name    (Atom         xatom);
#endif

Regards,
                                         Owen