I'm Havin trouble getting Gtk+ to work on both linux and windows

I installed the development enviroment into my dev-Cpp
directory but (in windows xp professional) ,Dev-C++
(from bloodshed software) still says it' can't find
the files (I pretty much know that it's because of the
slashes "/" in the filename), KDevelop and gcc all do
the same thing on Linux (mandrake 9.1). The thing
about linux is that GTK 2.0  and gtkmm already come
installed. (by the way I'm totally new to linux but
I'd like to use GTK on both platforms. Can you help me
with my problem? I have printed out your complete gtk
2.0 tutorial and the faq (thanks to the HP 4600 Laser
printer they left unguarded @ school?) and still my
problem != solved; I hope you can help me with this
because it's becoming a pain in the neck.