Speed of GtkListStore additions O(n^2)?

I have a serious problem with speed on the GtkListStore widget. Calling

   gtk_list_store_append ();
   gtk_list_store_set ();

multiple times to add, say 2000 rows of various metadata exhibit
something like a O(n^2) behaviour, whereas the old GtkClist was certainly
O(n).

Point is: GtkListStore is unacceptably slow when adding many, many rows.
(I have a view attached to my list store.)

Has anyone had direct experience with this before and a quick and obvious
solution?

Otherwise I recon I'm the first to use big list stores so I'll have to
start writing test programs and dig into GTK until I find the flawed
routine. It cannot be like this.

Yours,
Linus Walleij