pango layout extents (ok under linux, problems under win32)

Using pango 1.2.1 and gtk 2.2.1 in 'English' locale. (For both windows and linux).

I create a new label, set the text and then attempt to calculate extents using the various extents functions availabe. i.e. I tried retrieving the extents via the appropriate pango function, tried iterating over the lines of the layout and calculating their individual extents, etc and under all these circumstances the extents returned are smaller in width than the actual width of the text.

The contents of the label is a mix of English and Japanese. (Which I guess attributes to the problem).

(The same code works perfectly under Linux)