Installing local/individual GTK

Hi,

  I'm trying to build the newest GTK (and the myriad of packages it
requires).  There are some badly installed, older versions of GTK (and
its support packages) on my system, therefore I am installing all of
the files for the new versions into my home directory, but some of the
system files are apparently still visible.

  After hacking on most of support packages' build systems for hours I
finally, I think, got them installed. (In ~/gtk_stuff.)

  Now, when I try to build GTK itself, the pkg-manager thing keeps
dieing with various errors about system libs.  It doesn't seem to be
able to figure out that I only want it to look at the ones I've
installed myself in my home dir.

  Here is one of the errors I get from configure:

checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11... no
configure: error: *** libX11 not found. Check 'config.log' for more details.

I've tracked this down to the fact that in the compile line, there is
a "-L" with no path on it, thus clearing out all paths.  I'm not sure
why this is getting set this way, but it appears to be some problem in
the configure script with $PKG_CONFIG either not being set or being
used to early.  (Note, I also get errors like this from configure:

checking for libpng12... ./configure[22890]: --exists:  not found.

Again, this seems to be some bug with the GTK configure (I did run
autoconf (2.53) on it.)

  It seems to be a heck of an ordeal to compile and install GTK.  I
would appreciate any help you can give me in addressing all of these
issues. (BTW, I am trying to install this on a IRIX SGI.)

    Thanks,
           Dave

PS.  Please respond via email in addition to posting to the list.

- J. Davison de St. Germain         dav cs utah edu    (801) 581-4078 -
- Chief Software Engineer           http://www.cs.utah.edu/~dav       -
- SCI Institute, SE C-SAFE          University of Utah                -