Doubts about gtk 2.0

Hi dears,

I am a newbie using GTK+.

I installed the sources, and now I am trying to write a simple application.
I included the line

#include <gtk\gtk.h>

and I tried to compile this using

gcc -g -s testeGTK.c -o testeGTK 'pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0'.

As a result, I got errors messages which told me that the header files
couldn't be find.

I changed the include line to

#include "/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h"

after that, I tried to compile, when I got a message error telling me that
the directory 'pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0' couldn't be found.

I checked the archive gtk+-2.0.pc, and the environment variables are
corrects.

May someone give me a help, please?

Thanks,

Paulo Ricardo