incremental image scaling with gdkpixbuf

I am using gdkpixbuf to scale some very large tiff images and am running
into performance issues on some slower computers.

The most important goal is for users to be able to switch "pages"
quickly, so my thought was to do something similar to EOG and perform a
low quality scale (NEAREST, I guess) and queue the BILINEAR scale in an
idle handler, but I am unsure how to do this.

EOG seems to make use of libart for this, but libart seems linked to X
and this is a windows application. Can anyone give me some pointers on
how I might do this with just GdkPixbuf?

Thanks,

Mark Roach