Selection Color in GtkCTree

I want to have a GtkCTree(GTK 1.2+) that has multiple selections of different
colors that are all set programatically.  I've tried

gdk_gc_set_foreground(style->fg_gc[GTK_STATE_SELECTED], &color_red);
gtk_ctree_select(tree, widget);

gdk_gc_set_foreground(style->fg_gc[GTK_STATE_SELECTED], &color_green);
gtk_ctree_select(tree, other_widget);

but this only changes all the selected widgets to the last color(green).
There are 5 states, 7 gc's in a style, and both fore/back ground colors.
Some combination must actually do it.  Has anybody tried this? with maybe
some example code?

Dick
Richard Hogaboom

MIT / Lincoln Laboratory