Re[2]: Better accelerator keys support

Hello edscott,

Thursday, July 3, 2003, 5:11:21 AM, you wrote:

ewg> Using the space bar to select the button (gtk default) is easy and
ewg> natural. Even so, you can define a "windowy" behaviour by using the
ewg> key-pressed signal on the widget.

ewg> Edscott

Well, if the widget has the focus, then the space bar is natural.
Sorry, I think I didn't specify this clearly enough. I mean, when the
focus is on one button I can activate any other button with the
Alt-key support. Space bar only works if the widget has the focus, and
switching to one control out of dozens can be very time consuming.

What I meant, was that e.g. if the focus is on the button "&Sample
button" I could activate the button "&Another button" by just pressing
'A' instead of Alt-'A'. (On american keyboard this is not so annoying
since you have a second Alt-button right to the space bar, but on a
german keyboard layout, I don't have this second Alt button, which
means that I often need both hands to activate a shortcut).

This really made me wondering when I tried to switch to Linux since I
am a keyboard guy, and I always thougth linux was much better than
windows in this area, but actually I found out that Windows keyboard
accessibility support is even better than Linux's.

--
Best regards,
 Martin                            mailto:stubenschrott gmx net