Re: GtkFB is stable ?

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 10:49:02AM +0100, Stephane Wirtel wrote:
> because, i would like to create a program with gtk+-2.2 without the
> XFree server,

I encountered some font-related problems when using gtk+ without
having installed XFree86 on my system. The solution that worked for me
was to extract the four font packages "Xf100.tgz", "Xfenc.tgz",
"Xfnts.tgz" and "Xfscl.tgz" from the XFree86-4.2.0 binary release and
then move the "fonts" directory to /usr/share. This is where
fontconfig looks for font files by default (can be changed via
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf). I ran "fc-cache" afterwards and it works now.
I think this happens only if X is not installed but I'm not sure.

On my old (200MHz) PC gtkfb-apps with anti-aliased fonts are really
slow. I will give gtk-directfb a try. Will it supersede gtkfb some
day?

Mario