Configure failing with gtk-2.2.0 (fwd)

I have one correction to make to what I reported below.  I HAVE now been
able to rebuild glib-2.0.4, pango-1.0.3, atk-1.0.2, and gtk+-2.0.5
completely from scratch and re-install.  Below, I reported that that
I was getting the same configure error with gtk+-2.0.5 that I was with
2.2.0, implying that possibly something about my upgrade from XFree86 3.3.6
to 4.2.1 might somehow have been faulty.  Since I was able to rebuild and
reinstall the existing version now under XFree86 4.2.1, any relationship
to this change in XFree86 seems to have been disproved.

Again, thanks for any help anyone might offer.  This is still sticking me
hard.

jbh