questions on installing GTK+

Hi, I am a beginner at compiling and installing tar.gz programs so I have questions. I am trying to install GTK+2.2.0 and the necessary libraries ie. Pango,atk, and others ie freetype and fcpackage, on Debian Linux, Woody, compact, on PC. I have downloaded the tar.gz packages to my /usr/src directory and I have uncompressed them. I have tried following the install instructions with each but I am worried that things have not gone right as I have little experience with this. First- should I have uncompressed them and configure/ make them in the directory where I want them? I just tried to install them from the /usr/src directory instead of first putting them in /usr/local where I think I want them. I assumed the install script would relocate the whole package to the install destination but I see that it did not. It looks like install does not move many files. In trying to configure GTK+ I have had to keep adding more and more environment variables to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH to help it find the packages in the /usr/src directory, is that right? Or did the files not get installed correctly?
Help,

jcb
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Meet Singles