Problems with fast timeouts

Hi,
  I wanted my timeout function to be called 200 times per second. Another words, my timeout function to be called every 5 miliseconds. However, when I mesured the intervals with gettimeofday I found out that the timeout function was called ca every 20ms. My timeout function exectutes within 20microseconds. Is it a bug in GTK+ or am I doing something wrong? I use GTK+ 1.2.
  Please CC me when you reply to the list.
  Thanks in advance,
--
Krzysztof