setting window size with gtk_clist + gtk_scrolled_window

Hi,

I have a fairly simple problem where I want to place a gtk_clist within a
scrolled window.  I would like the scrolled window to have a MAXIMUM width,
of say 500 pixes, but if the CLIST is only 200 pixels wide, then I would like
the scrolled window to fit that size.

It's easy to set the scrolled window to a fixed size but I see no way to get
the width of a gtk_clist so that if the gtk_clist is smaller than that fixed
size, that the window isn't unnecessarily large.

How do you do this?

-Rich