Re: GTK_IS_WIDGET Errors

David Swiston wrote:
Ok, one more tidbit of info.  I installed GCC 3.2.2 on
another computer of mine running slackware 8.1 and the
exact same project runs just fine on that computer, no
Gtk-CRITICAL errors.  I then sent the project over to
a lab computer running linux and it also ran without
an error.  Why would I get Gtk-CRITICAL errors on only
one of my computers for entry boxes and on two others
the exact same file causes none.  It can't be anything
wrong with the code can it?   Google revealed that
other people had had problems like this but I could
never find info on how the problem was fixed.

David,

Are you running on x86? I had a subtle problem with gtkentry after switching to gcc3 from 2.9x, but it was on a Sun box.

I used "-m32 -mno-app-regs" to compile the libraries, and the problem went away. The "-m32" causes 32bit code to be generated rather than 64bit.

More concerning was the -mno-app-regs, which the gcc documentation said was required for "maximum compatibility with binary interfaces", and should be used for system libraries, etc.

I have not figured out which of these made the difference, but plan to if the problem seems to have gotten better for good. You might look through the x86 gcc documentation for some similar item of concern.

Eric