widget, style and themes

Hi,
I've made a widget of my own and I ran into a small problem with the theme stuff. My widget is based on GtkWidget and is called GtkPeriod. Of course it doesn't have a style of his own defined in any gtkrc file. That's why I'd like it to use a style defined in a gtkrc for another common widget. Since I cannot ask the user who 's going to use my widget (included in another application) to modify his gtkrc file, I have to do this in my program. So, what I'd like to, is, while initializing my widget, set it to an existing style for a common widget defined in most, if not all, gtkrc files (in particular the style defined for GtkProgressBar), so that my widget could use the pixmaps of the theme chosen by the user.

Yet, I haven't been able able to find out how to do this so far and I think the solution might have something to do with gtk_rc_get_style_by_paths.
at the end of the realize function I use it in the following way:

new_style = gtk_rc_get_style_by_paths(gtk_widget_get_settings(widget), NULL, "GtkProgressBar", G_TYPE_NONE);
	if(new_style)
		gtk_widget_set_style(widget, new_style);
	widget->style = gtk_style_attach(widget->style, widget->window);

It doesn't work at all and sends Error messages.

Is there anyone who could help me, please !!