XInitThreads() locking up my GTK app !?!?!

Well, I hope this isn't a show stopper. I need XInitThreads() to be able to fire off a separate video (v4l) object to monitor video input. But when I put it in my GTk application, it freezes up any time I try to enter text into a text box.

I'm also using g_threads_init and gdk_threads_enter ... and so on.

Does anyone have a workaround?  This is quite disturbing.

Thanks,

DT
--
Technical Director, Virginia Center for Computer Music