Re: How to create help files / menus?

GNOME has a dedicated help viewer and an API for calling the help viewer
on your documentation. Check out "The GNOME Handbook of Writing Software
Documentation" and the gnome-help API.

There's a mailing list, gnome-doc-list gnome org, where people will be
happy to answer questions about documentation.