Re: glib 2.2.3 compile failure

On 2003-11-23, I wrote
> I'm trying to compile glib 2.2.3 on HP-UX 11.11.  The compile fails in
> glib/libcharset with this error:
>
>     /bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -Wall -Wl,+s \
> 	-L/home/e/l/ellement/usr/lib -o libcharset.la localcharset.lo -lintl
>     false cru .libs/libcharset.a .libs/localcharset.o
>     make[3]: *** [libcharset.la] Error 1
>
> What is the cause of this error?  How do I correct it?

It turns out configure didn't find 'ar', and used 'false' instead.  Once
I re-ran configure with AR=ar, everything compiled.  (For some reason,
configure doesn't find a number of tools in my path: gcc, ar, awk, sed,
ld, and pkg-config.  With other packages, their configure finds things
that are in my path).

I didn't actually figure this out myself.  I found a discussion of my
original problem on the cURL mailing list archive after searching for
"false cru".

--
David Ellement