Can you use a menubar if you want a statusbar? Do you understand this?

I get a strange error in my program using windown0.98 and PHP-GTK 0.5.2
I made a menubar with some submenus. Nothing wrong with it even when I
create a statusbar. But... when I connect the GtkMenuItem select and
deselect signals ...

$menuitem1->connect_object('select','showStatus', 'menuitem1');
$menuitem1->connect_object('deselect','hideStatus');

... with the following two functions:

function showStatus($key)
{
 global $status,$statusbar;
 // $status is just an array with the descriptions to show
 // I tried to use get_context_id(), but the error still occurs
 $statusbar->push(1,$status[$key]);

 while (gtk::events_pending())
  gtk::main_iteration();
}

function hideStatus()
{
 global $statusbar;
 $statusbar->pop(1);
}

The program crashes. It gaves me the following output:
Error: (program.php:4294197997): Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL)
pointer to `GtkMenuItem'

When does the crash occur:
The crash seems to occur only when you click with your mouse on an item (an
item of the menubar, not a menu) and THEN uses the arrows of your keyboard
to go to another submenu. If you only use the mouse, the crash seems to
occur only when you move the mouse very fast over the items of the menubar
(sometimes).

When I comment the connections the error doesn't occur anymore. But that
way, my statusbar is totally empty! How can I fix this?