Re: Printing / Layout

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 12:52, decio.osiris wrote:
> Second, about the layout widget, I couldn't quite
> understand whether it works only with absollute
> positioning or it can be specified by us? If so, can we,
> for example, reposition everything in case we maximize
> the window?

The layout widgets are dynamic sizing widgets.  You just specify whether
you want them to grow or shrink and then as the window sizes, everything
inside them is adjusted.  This is a very powerful layout system.  Never
use absolute position or size.  Instead let the vbox and hbox widgets to
it for them.  This is explained very well in the gtk tutorial.

> Just one last thing. Maybe it is complicated to explain
> here, but anyway, When and how should I use the GDK
> widgets instead of the GTK ones?? I just couldn't figure
> this out since, unfortunately the manual still lacks so
> much information.

GDK is not a widget set per se.  It's an API that makes drawing easier
on behalf of the GTK Widgets.  You use GDK object structures in your gtk
program to manipulate things like images and to draw onto a window (say
a GtkDrawingArea).  But there are no GDK widgets.  Everything has to be
done through GTK, unless you're hell-bent on reinventing everthing GTK
is.  GdkWindows represent X11 windows and GTK widgets each have an
associated GdkWindow object that they draw to.