probelem installing gtk2 Smooth-Step themes

Hi group.

I would like to install the Smooth-Step themes for gtk-2.

I tried using the preference--> theme menu to add the theme, but after selecting the
theme, it didn't appear in the list.  The only thing is that if I click on the
'detail' button, under the control tab I can see it.

I'm not sure what the control tab does but if select the theme from there, I see
some changes but it looks like the icons are not being loaded for the buttons,
scroll bars etc...

Also, if I look in the Smooth-Step directory, form what I've read with gtk2 themes,
there should be a index.theme file that the preference menu reads.  I don't see it.
 I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

Can somebody advise.  I really need to get this theme up ASAP.

Best regards

Farry