gtk very slow on win32

Hi,

I compiled my app on win98 box using MinGW and gtk2.2.2 . Compilation
went fine, but the gui is __very__ slow.
It's so slow that it is basically unusable.
For example populating clist (I know it's deprecated, but it's ok for my
needs) with something about 100 lines took cca 3 minutes.

I'm willing to believe that the problem is in my code not in gtk (though
it is ok on Linux), but when I tried the clist example from gtk distro
it was slow too.

I'm playing with it for several days and I don't know what to do.

Thanks

--
Jiri Pavlovsky
ps project-syndicate org