Glib compile error

I'm on a Solaris 2.8 system with GNU tools and I'm trying to compile glib
2.2.2.  The ./configure step goes well, but the make gives me an error
from ld which I don't understand.  I am using GNU make, but ld is from
Sun.  Should I look into changing ld?

I hope someone can help me out.  Here is the output:

inflate_flush                       0x1208
/data/local/lib/libz.a(infcodes.o)
inflate_flush                       0x12f0
/data/local/lib/libz.a(infcodes.o)
inflate_flush                       0x1384
/data/local/lib/libz.a(infcodes.o)
inflate_flush                       0x140c
/data/local/lib/libz.a(infcodes.o)
inflate_flush                       0x1494
/data/local/lib/libz.a(infcodes.o)
inflate_blocks_sync_point           0x1214
/data/local/lib/libz.a(inflate.o)
calloc                              0x80
/data/local/lib/libz.a(zutil.o)
vsprintf                            0x1630
/data/local/lib/libz.a(gzio.o)
inflate_fast                        0x230
/data/local/lib/libz.a(infcodes.o)
strcat                              0x22b4
/data/local/lib/libz.a(gzio.o)
strcat                              0x22c8
/data/local/lib/libz.a(gzio.o)
ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable
sections
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake[1]: *** [libglib-2.0.la] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/data/local/src/gtk/glib-2.2.2/glib'
gmake: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Thanks a million.
--
Daniel Carrera, Math PhD student at UMD.  PGP KeyID: 9AF77A88
  .-"~~~"-.   On the menu of a Swiss restaurant: