RE: Order of widgets when displayed on top of each other

> From: J. Davison de St. Germain [mailto:dav cs utah edu]
> > use the GnomeCanvas, which has z-order stacking. its not so cool for
> > widgets as it it for native canvas items, but it will work.
>
> My understanding is that this would require us to be dependent on yet
> another library (libgnome? or some such) and to learn another API.

libgnomecanvas. It's a small API-stable library.

> Does the Gnome lib provide us with more then this ability; is it worth
> using for other things (ie: what does it do for us over and beyond
> direct GTK)?

It does fancy shapes and fixed positioning and moving stuff around. The kind
of thing that you would use in a vector drawing application or simple game.

However, libgnomecanvas is less than perfect (see the archivs). There are
other canvases that you might use instead, such as foocanvas.

> Is the lack of z-order stacking for GTK widgets a bug,

I think GTK+ is really for providing widgets, and I can't see a need to have
one button half-way overlapping another button.

> or a known issue, or something that the only fix is to use the Gnome
> canvas?  I assume that implementor of the Gnome canvas somehow "worked
> around" the GTK problem.

I think the canvas is meant to solve a different set of problems.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com