Re: text looks different on different displays

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 09:11:47PM -0400, Valdis Kletnieks vt edu wrote:
>   [14 lines, 112 words, 654 characters]  Top characters: etnasiro
>
> On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 14:24:29 EDT, Jeff Abrahamson <jeff purple com>  said:
> > I have a little perl/glade/gtk app. When I run it displayed on one
> > machine, it looks fine. On another, the text kerns very wide. It's
> > always running on the same machine, just displaying different places.
> >
> > Any thoughts what I can do about this, or what's causing it? I'm
> > starting to wonder what my customers will see.
>
> First guess is that the two display machines have different fonts installed, so
> the underlying XQueryFont() calls are returning different fonts.
>
> 'xlsfonts' is your friend (and remember you can pass it a partial font spec to
> narrow things down)...

Thanks, I was thinking something like this, but it seems the metric
information is wrong on one. That is, buttons displayed on one machine
look like normal,

   |  button  |

on the other they get displayed all spread out like this:

   |  b  u  t  t  o  n  |

--
 Jeff