Re: xsettings and 64 bit machines

Scott Violet <Scott Violet sun com> writes:

> The spec for xsettings, at
> http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/xsettings/xsettings.html
> mentions X defines in a number of places (such as CARD32 and CARD16)
> along with a byte count. For example, the header is listed as:
>
> 1      CARD8    byte-order
> 3               unused
> 4      CARD32   SERIAL
> 4      CARD32   N_SETTINGS
>
> On 64 bit machines CARD32 appears to be 8 bytes in length. So, which
> column dictates the actual number of bytes? The byte column or the
> number of byes of the underlying type? For example, on a 64 machine
> will SERIAL be 4 bytes or 8 bytes?

CARD32 in X protocol docs is always 4 bytes. (Since XSETTINGS
can work between 32 and 64 bit machines!)

While CARD32 types in the X protocol often map to long quantities
in Xlib (Atom, XID, etc.), I'm pretty darn sure that the CARD32 type
is always 32 bit type...

(It is according to the Xmd.h on my system, and the sample
implementation of, e.g., Xlib would need a whole lot of
modification if it wasn't.)

Regards,
                                        Owen