Re: is opengl the correct solution?

Hello!
    > All rendering will be done by my own code. May I use just the
    > gtk-- classes to display the animated image-content or should I
    > use opengl?
I think it depends on what you need. If you'd like use special OpenGL
functions that doesn't exist in GTK you should use OpenGL. But if you
only want to draw some lines or copy an image onto a sourface GTK should
be "enough".

    > What widget should I use???
You can display your rendered image using a drawing area. I draw lines
on a pixbuf, blit some images onto it and render the pixbuf onto the
drawing area. This workes fine for me.
AFAIK there are also OpenGL extensions to GTK, for 1.2 and 2.0.

    > How fast is opengl in comparison to gtk?
No idea ;-(

    > Will it be easy to use nice rescale-functions if I'm forced to
    > render previews in low resolutions and want to display them in full-size?
I think you can render the pixbuf to any size you need.

Ciao,

Olaf