How do I add a precise timeout function

I have to perform periodic tasks, 2 to 5 times a sec, that are called with an accuracy of +- 0.05 sec.  I have tried gtk_timeout_add with the appropriate values, but the callback timing is heavily dependent on things beyond my control.  I am running several threads using g_threads which are handling socket traffic.  Is there anyway to have more control over the timing of the callbacks in gtk?  I am going to try increasing the priority of the main thread as a first attempt.