Difficulties with Xft2 and gtk2

Hi

I am trying to get a working gnome2 with Xft2, but keep encountering
problems

Current situation

I have Keith Packards fc package installed (version 2)
Pango-1.1.1
glib-2.0.6
gtk-2.0.6

all of which compile and install fine

However whenever I have a modal dialog it is enormous, often two
screenwidths.

This only happens when I compile against Xft2
In addition, when I open certain programs (eg: gnome-font properties) I
get
(gnome-font-properties:12167): libglade-WARNING **: unknown property
`layout_style' for class `GtkVBox'

(gnome-font-properties:12167): Gtk-WARNING **: Only 'activatable'
widgets can be packed into the action area of a GtkDialog

(gnome-font-properties:12167): Gtk-WARNING **: Only 'activatable'
widgets can be packed into the action area of a GtkDialog

and program does not open

I know these are interaction issues with gtk2, but I was advised to post
here

(running Rh7.3 and self-compiled gnome2)

thanks