upgrade from GTK 1.2 to a recent 2.x

Hi list,

on my system is GTK 1.2.10 installed. I want to upgrade to a recent 2.0
release (2.0.6 seems to be most recent in the moment). What do I have to do, to
get this done ? I know I need some other packages, namely glib, atk and pango.
But I do not want to break anything on my system. How are the chances to get
such a major release upgrade done without breaking existing apps ? I have
had a look into the FAQ and into the listarchive, but have found no related
infos

Is there a kind of cooking recipe, howto or the like how this task could be
done ? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance